Sunday, May 07, 2006

Attaching the Claw

This week the activity will be attaching the claw.
In the past few weeks, work groups have been building a grasping claw. Recently, other members of the work groups have been building a speedy robot.

What is next? Of course! The claws need to be attached to the robots.

Make the grasping claws an integral part of the robots. I am suggesting that groups may need to make some slight adjustments to the chassis of the claw or the robot to make a good strong fit. Plus, does it look good? Here are the criteria in Rubric form.

Let me add another challenge to this activity. Do you need sensors to tell the robot that it has touched a cylinder or that the arms of the claw are touching? If so, now is the time to integrate the sensors into the design. Remember our first concept of robot construction? Robust Design. Incorporate that concept now.

If you are successful, you will have a quick, controllable robot that can grasp objects and deliver them to another location.

I am ecouraging students to post comments. Predict what your problems might be for this activity. How does your group plan to intergrate the sensors? How do you feel about tearing apart what you have built AGAIN?

1 comment:

Robert said...

Hey Mr. Wright it's me Robert from class 719. I have been messing around with the html on my blog. I haven't done much but here's what I have done: changed the text color, made links within a post, and changed the side my side-bar is on and I am still exploring to find out how to do more!